Friday, July 17, 2009

LIFE-LONG RELATIONSHIPS (PART I)

Got this from Coaching Toolbox yesterday and can't get it out of my head:

"I once heard Thad Matta say at a clinic that the number one goal he sets for his coaching staff is to: 'establish a life-long relationship with every player that cannot be broken.' I changed it a little for our program to include managers and changed the word 'player' to 'participant' so that the managers would be included."

This is the absolute essence to long-term success in coaching...in teaching...in every facet of life. It is an everyday job as well. You just can't care on such a deep level about those people you work with on an occasional basis. Every detail has to be about their growth. There are tough-love lessons for sure, but there has to be examples of deep-rooted love for the person and their dreams.

When I worked for Dale Brown I know he would get up on Christmas morning and call his players and wish them a happy holiday. Not just his current players -- every player that played for him! I haven't been on Coach Brown's staff for about 12 years now but I'm always going to get a call from him on my birthday and my anniversary! I have never seen a person more intense than Coach Brown when a player needs a job, needs help or wants to further his education. They can be players that haven't played for him in 30 years. If you ever run into Coach Brown pick a former player and ask him, "Hey Coach, what's so-and-so doing these days." Then have a seat because you'll be there awhile. He will tell you about his family, his kids, his job and the last time he talk to them.

When my wife was battling breast cancer a few years ago each week, for the entire year, she got a card, a letter, an email or a phone call.
For Coach Brown, "life-long relationships" are just that -- LIFE LONG. It's why players played so hard for him. It's why so many of them have went on to be successful -- they don't want to disappoint him. And Coach Brown doesn't differentiate. Sure he stays in touch with Shaquille, one of the great players to have played the game. But he stays in touch equally with a player that played two years, didn't play much and transferred. I've seen him bend over backwards to help a player that contributed little to our program and may have even hurt the program. Coach has a lot of sayings but one of his favorites is "God doesn't make any junk." That translates to all people are worthy of love and help.

It's something I didn't fully realize before a came to LSU and joined his staff. But I learned it very quickly from him and have continued to see it in action through working with Sue Gunter and now Van Chancellor.

Get up everyday as a coach and ask yourself a couple of questions:

"How can I make my program better today?"

"How can I make my team better today?"

"How can I help my current players grow as people today?"

"How can I reach out to our alumni today?"

We will talk about each of these in detail later this weekend.