Saturday, January 30, 2010

THE CONCEPT OF TEAM

From Jim Calhoun's "A Passion To Lead" come thoughts developing a team:

At UConn, we word diligently every year at building the concept of team. One idea that I constantly emphasize is this: When we benefit, I benefit. In other words, when the team performs well, everyone on the team will share in its success. I want the players, as a group, to take ownership of the team. And one thing I do to promote team “ownership” is to make sure that every player, whether he’s an All-American or a benchwarmer, knows that he is making contributions to the team. I tell my players constantly that UConn is not a collection of individuals. We are a team on and off the court. During the fall, we all tailgate together at UConn football games to promote camaraderie.