The following comes from Spencer Wood of Icebox (http://www.iceboxathlete.com/) According to a study based on professional athletes in the NBA, NFL, and NHL, the following eight traits were found to constitute the ultimate athlete:
1. Ability to work hard and sustain intensity.
3. Athletic ability.
4. Sacrifice for the team.
5. Coping with criticism, failure, and success.
6. Clutch performance, poise, and focus.
7. Ability to execute game strategy.
8. Passion for the sport and commitment to excellence.
By admission of the coaches in attendance five of the above traits are considered to be mainly mental attributes.