Thursday, September 2, 2010

COACH CARRIL ON PRAISE

Praise is the cheapest form of reward.

You have to be able to tell a player or a coach when he does a bad job that it is a bad job. I tell my players that if I tell them they played a great game on Tuesday, and on Wednesday I tell them they're messing up, I'm the same coach. You show respect by praising them when they do the things that deserve praise. They must learn the difference between what is done right and what is done wrong, and if you try to make them similar with easy praise you'll never succeed in teaching them the difference.

Praise, rings, watches -- I guess they're nice tokens, but I'd rather have the thing that last forever; respect for what you have done. It is important to play the game for the right reasons.
From "The Smart Take From The Strong" by Pete Carril with Dan White