Monday, September 27, 2010

A SALUTE TO ALL THOSE COACHES WHO MAKE OUR JOB ON THE COLLEGIATE LEVEL EASIER

I love this thought from Coach Carril.  As a collegiate coach, it doesn't take me very long in practice to know that I have a freshman that has been taught by a great high school coach.  A junior high school coach Allen Osborne transformed my life. 

"A good high school coach is the salt of the earth.  And when his teams are well coached, a college coach is the direct beneficiary of all his work.  When players who have had good high school coaching walk on the floor in college, there isn't much that coach has to do.  I cannot emphasize enough when it means to start that great coach at the sixth or seventh grade who tries to get kids to things better .  Grade school coaches are the unsung heroes of this country and they're disappearing because it takes a lot of work and constant attention."

From "The Smart Take from the Strong," by Pete Carril