Friday, August 12, 2011

10 MOST POWERFUL PHRASES: #5 I'M PROUD OF YOU

I recently picked up "Ten Powerful Phrases for Positive People" by Rich DeVos who is the cofounder of Amway and the Chairman of the Orlando Magic. It's not a big book but it was a great read. There is no one this book would not benefit, especially coaches. This is a relationship-improvement book whether it's your professional life or your personal life. I will share some of these words and the thoughts but DeVos gives so many great stories that I strongly recommend you get the book.

#5: I'M PROUD OF YOU

Probably, the most powerful thing we can say to our kids, next to "I love you," is "I'm proud of you."

Behind a lot of hard work is a simple desire to be recognized as the best in our profession, to be given a more impressive job title, to win and an award or see our name in the paper.  Everyone appreciates a pat on the back, an "Attaboy!" or "You go girl1"  I learned quickly in business to appreciate the power of unrecognized achievement can kill incentive.

For all the phrases in this book, I'd like to emphasize that beyond just saying them you must consider putting them in writing.  It only takes a minute to write a note.  But it's a powerful act of inspiration and encouragement.

Putting the phrase in writing just adds more power.

I find that "I'm proud of you" is especially uplifting for people who typically don't win the awards and rewards of life, who may doubt their abilities and have a tough time finding something to be proud about.  That's why it's double important for parents and teachers and employers to find ways to say, "I'm proud of you."